Wednesday 9 March 2011

Anniversary of London Bombing...7th July 2005

Went to work on wed the 6th of july, another normal long night, started at 7pm & finishing at 7am...
Not sure if I'll make it through the night (that song comes to mind) was feeling really tired.
As finishing time approached, was eager to get home my ever faithful bed awaits, longing to hold me so dear as I was needing to snuggle up.
Driving home, dreaming about my restful sleep...wow
My fon rings... "No, nooooo....this can't be happening". It's a mistake, she's got the date wrong. It can't be, not today.
Hoping it was another day, any day but not todayyyyy. She was right as I checked. It was arranged few weeks ago, i had completely forgotten about it.
I had agreed to go along with my youngest sister-in-law for her hospital app.
Too late to back off now. Sleep shall wait for few hours. Wanted to kick myself but then again, what's the point. Get it over & done with.
They were going to reduce her sugar level, doing several tests to eliminate to pinpoint on her health issues & would need help getting home afterwards.
We decided to take the underground transport as it was easier & convenient. Car parking was limited & restricted. By car, it would've been horrendous too, especially that time of the day. Morning rush hour, everyone rushing to get into work, college, etc. Bought 2 return tickets & made our journey.
We were busy talking about this & that, to keep awake. My eyelids started feel like tons.
Time passed by so quickly. Reached our destination few mins before time. As we got off the tube, decided to call members of our family to make sure, all were getting rdy for school, work & so on.
My fon had no network coverage, assumed it was b'coz of being underground, so found an open space. Tried & kept trying..nothing.
Could hear other passengers mumbling something. It wan't making any sense. Bus, train on fire, disruption everywhere.
Few mins later, more info coming thru.. Few people have been injured in a fire on the bus, train...it was a bomb. What? Where? It wasn't making any sense at all.
We had just passed that station few mins ago & all were normal. It was the train just behind our's had suicide bombers & blew up the train killing & maiming several people.
We had narrowly escaped serious injury, even death. Felt numb at the thought of....
Managed to get through to members of my family. My youngest daughter was due to go for her job interview via Kings Cross station that morning. She called and changed it to the afternoon the day before. Lucky for my baby, she would have been there at the time of the explosion. Husband & son-in-law were already at work. My son got up late & was getting ready to go. My other daughter felt unwell decided to take the day off. My brother too made it into work before the incident. His wife too just missed it.
That's nine of us from the same family saved otherwise would have perished.
I feel sorry for the ones that were killed and injured in the incident. The stories that was unfolding since then have been heartbreaking.
I can't believe it was 5yrs ago today. I still remember that day still very clear.
The weather too was saddened by the incident, very gloomy, raining.. No transport to and fro, all were walking, head hung so heavily. It felt like a walk from a funeral but on a larger scale. No one talking but the look told a thousand stories..
Not knowing how many had been killed. It was one of the worst experiences i have ever come across.
We had to walk back home, it was miles. My sister-in-law was in a bad way, her eyesight blurred from the treatment which had put extra pressure on me to steady her as we made our way home.
I still see people with serious injuries to their face or limps missing, not sure if they were the victims of that day.
I know we were the lucky ones. The ones that have lost their loved ones will re-living that day on the anniversary of that day.
Actions of few worthless act that leaves lives devasted for ever...

No comments:

Post a Comment